Contractor Marketing Services - An Overview
Many contractors have an array of options when it comes to marketing their services, from listing their offers on third-party websites like HomeAdvisor and Angie's List, to relying on word of mouth to acquire more customers.
But what many don’t realize is that there’s a third option: using direct marketing as an additional strategy to the above.
Direct marketing can be an excellent way for contractors to reach new customers and generate business.
There is a caveat though: what works for one contractor might not work for another. So how do you determine if direct marketing is right for your contracting business? Let’s take a look at some of the best ways to market your contracting services directly from your website.
Contractor marketing services on third party websites
For homeowners who need to renovate their homes, finding the right contractor can be overwhelming. There are so many options out there, and it’s hard to know who to trust.
HomeAdvisor, like many other platforms, is a website that matches homeowners with contractors for free. The company has been around since 1998 and has received plenty of press coverage over the years.
Third-party websites like HomeAdvisor and Angie's List are great for contractors because the services can be advertised directly to people looking for them.
Here are some aspects to take into consideration when listing your services on such platforms:
- Having your business listed is effective because customers can easily browse different listings and compare them. This opens up your business to many potential customers. If a customer searches for home renovation companies and you're not listed, they will likely pick another company. This also means that if a customer is looking at the reviews of several businesses, you might have lost them if yours isn't there in their list to choose from.
- If you are a new contracting business, getting your name out there is essential. You need to have a solid client base and have been in the business for several years before you can consider yourself established. However, because you’re new and don’t have a solid client base yet, being listed on platforms like HomeAdvisor or Angie's List can help you reach potential customers and get your business off the ground.
- These third-party websites are extremely easy to manage. You just need to set up an account and potential leads will start contacting you directly.
This might all sound attractive, but there’s always a catch.
In 2017, Angie’s List and HomeAdvisor have merged under the name of ANGI Homeservices Inc. This makes it harder for the industry and reduces competition.
Most leads are shuffled around and sold several times in many cases. The sources of leads are sold to other lead generators at high prices (many times over $100) and then resold again to consumers at a much lower cost. This leads to a high-profit margin for those selling the leads but sometimes at a huge loss to contractors.
This huge loss translates into a lot of money being wasted on acquiring leads that are probably not a great fit either, as you need to pay a fee per each lead you acquire, even if it becomes a customer or not.
Therefore, it’s now more beneficial than ever to start marketing your services directly, while at the same time keeping your options open and still being listed on third-party websites.
Direct marketing for home renovation companies
The digital marketing services industry is a growing sector for the home improvement industry. Growth in the area of digital marketing services is attributed to the continuing need for businesses, organizations, and individuals to reach a wider audience.
The home improvement industry is always looking for ways to expand its customer base and grow its profits. One way it does this is by using digital marketing services specifically tailored to home renovation companies.
Digital marketing offers several advantages to those who use it. One advantage is that it helps them reach a larger audience than they could otherwise reach. This allows companies in the trades and home improvements industries to attract new customers from outside their immediate areas as well as from farther away.
This can also help generate more sales for companies that are already established. Another advantage is that it allows them to reach existing customers more easily. It does this by providing opportunities for customers to find out about special deals through emails or social media sites.
Some benefits of direct marketing are:
- Building trust with your customers. In a world where consumers are looking for instant gratification, it’s important to make sure your company is visible online at the exact moment when a potential customer is looking for your services.
- Competing directly with other home improvement companies. The Internet has made it easier than ever to build and grow a business, but it's still a long road from developing an idea to establishing a profitable enterprise. That's why home remodeling companies that rely on digital marketing are more likely to survive.
- Reach measurable goals. One of the top benefits of using digital marketing services is that you’re always going to have multiple options when it comes to advertising your business. With digital marketing, you can keep all of your tools in one place and manage them from a central dashboard. This enables you to take advantage of numerous different forms of marketing all at once.
Types of direct marketing for contractors
For a local home improvement company, local SEO is paramount and essentially refers to being present in the search result pages when people are browsing for your services on both desktop and mobile.
This requires on-page and off-page optimization.
The process includes making sure all of your information is up-to-date on all relevant local business listings, including Yelp, Google My Business, or Facebook. It also involves making sure the information on these sites is consistent with what is shown on your own website.
Google Pay Per Click Marketing (PPC) is an effective marketing strategy that generates results in a matter of days.
Tailor-made for contractors, PPC is cost-effective because results are immediate. You pay for each click you generate.
These are some points to consider when setting up your local PPC campaign:
- Choose your keywords wisely — this is the most crucial part of the process. You need to choose keywords that are relevant but will not be too competitive.
- Set a budget — the budget you set will determine what resources you have at your disposal during the campaign.
- Create an ad — the ad needs to be catchy and relevant to the keyword you’re targeting. Don't forget to include your business name, phone number, address, website link, and service area.
- Track your progress — Since PPC campaigns are real-time and results-oriented, you need to monitor constantly so that you can tweak your campaign as you go along.
Social media marketing
As more and more users sign up for and use social media sites, your potential customer base is virtually limitless. And, since the core principle behind social media is networking, online networking can easily be done via these sites.
Social networks operate on the premise of word-of-mouth advertising in its most natural form. With status updates and tweets, users broadcast what they're doing, where they're going, and what they think in real-time. Their friends do the same thing, and their friends' friends do it too.
Without being intrusive or annoying, you can join in on these conversations as long as you contribute something of value to the conversation. You can also create your own conversations by sharing your own content with your potential customers and helping them with home improvement tips.
You don't always have to sell outright; often simply engaging in small talk with potential customers about shared interests will build a rapport that will make them want to know more about you and what you have to offer. This is when a friendly tone really comes in handy!
Search marketing services for contractors
If you're a home renovation business owner and you haven't taken into account the power of direct marketing, chances are you're losing out on a lot of potential sales.
The first step to marketing your home renovation business online is to get yourself a website. If you need help with this, consider hiring a web developer to help you.
The next step is to start generating leads. This guide gives the exact breakdown to those who do want to invest the time and do things on their own.
35 Construction Marketing Ideas
Build a Facebook or host a webinar. This post covers 35 construction marketing ideas to consider when looking to grow your business.
Contractor Marketing Services - An Overview
From third-party websites to direct marketing, there are plenty of contractor marketing services to choose from.